Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bone Marrow Biopsy

Whoa!

That felt very, very weird. There are weird things in life. Then there are hipsters. Then there are snakes who move on land without feet. And then there is the feeling of a bone marrow biopsy.

So where are we? D+5 I think it is. Went down stairs for an echocardiogram of my heart which apparently turned out splendidly. Then I came back upstairs to wait for my biopsy. Unlike the lymph node biopsy from last Monday, they can get the bone marrow sample right in the office... or in my case, my dorm room.

The procedure was much different than the thing I saw on House once. I rolled onto my tummy, and the pricked me in the lower bakc with something that felt like a honeybee sting. After a couple minutes they asked me "Did you feel that?"

"Feel what?"

"Great."

The next sensation is very odd. They stick a big needle into my hip bone and swish it around. I don't know how to describe this. The best thing I can come up with is this: You know when the punk kids next door decide to have a party and blast the music, but only the bass gets through so you only feel lots of vibration? Well, it's kinda like that but instead of being next door, they're dancing in your hip bone.

Or maybe a bag of marbles under your skin being moved hither and thither.

Either way, it's odd. I was laughing the whole time and the reactions from those performing the operation seemed to be confused by my reaction. Maybe they didn't realize I had oxycodone and ativan in my system.

"Ouch!"

"Oh did that hurt?"

"Yeah a little, it felt weird."

"Like a sharp pain?"

"Well no, just regular pain."

"Okay well, you're about to feel some pressure."

"Ouch!"

The pain came later. Now I have a hole in my right leg on the front where a lymph node used to be. And I have a hole in my right leg on my backside where some bone marrow used to be. Let's hope I don't have to do that again.

Funny story, I signed up for a trial drug and am getting another biopsy in a couple days.

Mike: 0       Bad Decisions: 1

No comments: