Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The good news is that MEC took a sizable chunk out of the returning leukemia. I started chemo when I had about 80% blasts (bad dudes) in my peripheral blood (veins and such). After the chemo, there are no blasts in my periphery and we're still waiting on how many are in my bone marrow.

The bad news is that there are still some blasts in my marrow. I got a stake driven into my hip last week and the prelim results show leukemia, so we have to delay transplant and do another round of chemo. Last year, it took 2 different rounds of chemo to get me into remission, so let us hope this time will be the same. We also have reason to hope my donor cells are still fighting the good fight and at least keeping the numbers in check while we decide what to do next.

The ugly part is that this is still a shit sandwich any way you spin it. I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but if you think a shit sandwich is beautiful, well, you know, that's... just like, your opinion, man.

No comments: